Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Designers of "Ten Blocks on the Camino Real"

We asked our Costume Designer, Fabian Aguilar, to give us a few words about his work on the show.

The biggest excitement for me in costuming this piece for Beau Jest was how all of it's elements reminded me so much of the yearly theater festival my parents would take me to in Mexico as a child. That fed into the inspiration for the costuming, along with old Mexican movies with their pulp magazine compositions, with a splash of 1950's Hollywood, and just a bit of my childhood obsession with Mexican folk artist Jose Guadalupe Posada. 





My job as designer is to help these performers tell a story visually, and in "Ten Blocks on the Camino Real", a play rich with iconic characters and fast changing vignettes, the hardest part is the visual juggling act: you have to design accurately to the character represented, as well as to the practical and physical means of a production. And with the text rich in allegory, metaphor, and symbolism, I tried to revolve the costume design around what garment pieces symbolized each character and still remaining agile enough to let the performer transform fluidly from block to block.

-- Fabian Aguilar

No comments:

Post a Comment